Stop… What are you doing ? I’ve told you hundred times but still you make same mistakes.” “Why does this happen only to me.” ” Did I do something wrong and universe is taking revenge on me.” “Does that karma thing actually works?” “This seems a really bad time for me.” “My stars are bad right now.” Seems familiar? If you have said any of the above lines in your mind, then it means you were stressed. Stress is a poison for mind which can reduce your efficiency, destroy your health or even harm others around you emotionally or physically.
So how do we fight Stress from kicking our butts? Answer is really simple, it just takes some efforts to start. But once you start, these methods will become part of your life and all the stress will disappear like a bad dream. Your life will become more clear and soothing.
Below describe methods are 100 % working techniques, tested on real people and guaranteed to reduce stress. They are also part of a test on your mind which means if your stress doesn’t disappear using these methods, then you should consult a psychiatrist or change your current job or people around you :
1. Free your mind : The most common reason for stress is some of the problems in your life rents a space in your mind for the time until they are resolved. They take some storage space in your brain and even you are doing some other work, you still feel them there, leeching your peace of mind. Don’t let this happen. Raise the rent and kick them out of your mind. They don’t deserve a permanent (or even temporary) place in your mind, only happy memories do. Now you will ask a question : They are my problems, how can I run away from them ? The answer is simple, we are not telling you to run away from your problems, just don’t keep them in mind all the time. For this, you can use calendar method. On your cell phone, you have a calendar. Put all your work in your calendar and put an alarm on a time when you know you need to address a particular problem. And label the alarm with the problem name.After putting it on your calendar, just forget that the problem exists.E.g. Check out the below image from my phone :
And always remember one thing: Ignorance is bliss !!
2. Get a pet : The best medicine for a damaged mind full of stress is unconditional love. When you come home from long day of work and play with your dog, when it licks your face, jumps on you, chases you around the house, that unconditional love and fun makes you forget your life problems completely. So if you don’t own a pet, get one or you can also play with your neighbor’s pet.
3. Reduce Environmental Factors : Environmental things can weigh a lot in your stress factor. While you work, just be sure that the light is moderate. Too dim or too bright light can lead to a head ache. Check your chair and be sure you sit in a relaxed way. If you work on computers, blink regularly and see at a far distance after 20 mins of work to relax your eyes. Eye strain can add a lot to your stress level.
4. Automate work : Some of your daily work can be automated in such a way that they won’t bother you every day. For e.g. if you are getting some mails from a DL which you don’t read but delete every day, just put a rule to move those mails in a particular folder and at the end of the week, check and delete them.This was just an example to rectify those small things that can be fixed permanently with some efforts but you choose to fix them on daily basis adding to the daily stress.
5. Regular Exercise : If a person is stressed, it means the mind handles a lot of pressure and does most of the work. So a very simple and effective technique is a routine of physical exercise. Shift the focus from mind to body for a while. Take out 15 minutes in the morning and do some simple jogging, stretching, pushups or jumping. This will not only relieve pressure from your mind but also keep you physically fit and healthy. Always remember: A healthy mind resides in a healthy body.
6. Take breaks and get proper sleep: When your brain does the same work for a very long time, it reduces the efficiency and creates a smoke called stress. So take short 5 min breaks after every 1 hour of continuous work. It will reset your stress meter and also increase your efficiency in work. For a stressed out person, sleep is gold. Most of the studies on stress revealed that one of the prime reasons for stress was lack of sleep. So keep in mind that you need to sleep at least 7 – 8 hours a day. You can also take a nap during work hours. A short sleep will relax your brain and eyes.
7. Good and humorous company : If you work hard, it is also necessary to party hard. The best way to keep yourself happy in office is good company. Stay near those people who keep cracking jokes (not on you) and are lively in nature. Being in the company of such people can actually refresh your mind and you will look forward to come to office if you have good friends.
8. Listen to music : Listening to soothing music relaxes your mind. So keep your ipod/phone full with songs and make a playlist of slow and relaxing songs. Keep one thing in mind while listening to songs, if you are stressed, don’t listen to high tempo songs (loud songs using electric guitars and drums). Here’s a list of some slow songs from my playlist (you can make your own list as well)
· Feel (Robbie Williams)
· Fireflies (Owl City)
· Paradise (Coldplay)
· 5 O’Clock (Wiz Khalifa)
· Russian roulette (Rihanna)
· Somebody that I used to know (Gotye)
· Someone Like you (Adele)
· Take my heart back (Jennifer Hewitt)
· The Messenger (Linkin Park)
You can download the above songs from internet if you want. These work like charm for me. And for immediate stress relieve(in tense situations) you can also try singing the same songs.
9. Pick up a game : Nowadays companies also want their employees free from stress to improve their efficiency, so you can find pool table, table tennis and a lot of indoor games to play at work. Use these games as stress busters. Pick one game of your choice and play 30 mins a day. Those 30 mins of gameplay will lighten up your mood for the entire day. You can also download and play games on your smartphones.
10. Look at others’ problems: If you can’t get your peace of mind after all the above methods, it means you need to change your attitude. You can open charity sites and look at the pictures of people who don’t have even the basic necessities of life. You are complaining above the taste of food, there are people who can’t get a single meal in a day. You are worried about your car getting scratches, there are people who walk 20 miles everyday without any footwear just to get water. Seeing those people, your problems will look nothing compared to theirs.
11. Take life lightly : To sum it all, be a light person. Don’t take things too seriously. Nothing is worth your peace of mind. There’s a quote on this kind of amazing attitude:
“Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.”
If all the above methods don’t work, then it means you have a permanent problem and you should see a psychiatrist or change your job or some persons around you… If you have any other stress related query, you can write to me in comments section.
This is Drunk Writer signing off…. CHEERS !!
March 2, 2015
February 12, 2015
November 1, 2014
August 18, 2014
June 4, 2014
May 27, 2014