With the great quote, let’s begin our venture on why you should bother to read such an article on tips and benefits of waking up early. First take a minute to think what would you want to do if you get 3 hours extra in a day. Just imagine that the earth suddenly starts spinning with a little low speed so that the day finishes in 27 hours(nerd alert !). What would you do with that extra time ? Read a book ? Work on your hobby ? Finish your pending work that is giving you stress ? Exercise so that you can look better and stay healthy ? Just choose one and I’ll tell you how to make this mighty earth spin slowly for you.
So before diving into the practical methods to get you up early in the morning, first discuss the golden benefits you will get so that you can get motivated towards the goal :
1. Complete Focus : If you want to do some work that requires utter focus and concentration, the best time to do is in the early morning. Our brain in some way works like a computer. When a computer is booted(started), it has maximum of free ram and processing cycles as the number of programs occupying the active memory is less. In a similar way, when you wake up, your mind is fresh without any problems concerning you and the environment is quite silent which makes perfect conditions of rock solid concentration which can be utilized for important chores.
2. Stay fit and beautiful: If you want to stay fit, you can get up early and go for a jog in nearby park. Jogging will keep your stomach fat in control and bring a glow to your face. Also, the fresh oxygen pumped in your lungs in park will keep you healthy and away from common diseases. You can also utilize the early morning time to exercise, meditate or do yoga.
3. Creative things : If you are in some creative business like writing or advertising or painting or any other profession that requires creativity, then the best time for you is early morning. When mind is fresh, imagination go crazy. So in a way, you can get up early to find more success in your creative profession.
4. Get a kick start on your main problems : Sometimes, there are problems for which we are not able to find a solution or are very difficult to solve. For resolving such kind of problems, early morning time is Gold. You can just wake up early, forget everything you have done so far to resolve the problem and start with a fresh perspective. Your brain is on its maximum output in the morning. Utilize it.
5. Enjoy Nature’s Beauty : When was the last time you saw the sunrise ? Don’t remember ? Just leave your bed early one day and watch it. You’ll realize what you are missing in life.
Now when we have established that waking up early is the best thing to do in your day. Let’s move on to the practical ways of doing so, which is not an easy task for a lot of people.
1. Going to Bed Early : Waking up early doesn’t mean that you should reduce your sleep time. For an average person, 7 to 8 hours of sleep is necessary. The duration of sleep should not be reduced. So, obviously you’ll have to go to bed early. But what happens with most of the people with late sleeping habits is they keep on trying to sleep early in bed with no success until 2-3 hours and finally when their regular late time arrives, they go to sleep and waking up early becomes a problem. So here’s some tips on how to go to bed early and get asleep at the same time :
a. Get Tired : If you are a hardworking person, then you’ll automatically fell asleep as soon as your head hits the pillow but if you haven’t done much in the day, you need to get rid of excess energy that is keeping you awake. So before you sleep you can do some heavy exercise, lifting, a run or even dance in your room so that overall energy of your body gets reduced. Your brain uses 20% of your body’s energy, so if the body itself has low energy, your brain will also get little energy and on low energy your brain will shut off easily resulting into quick sleep.
b. Read a book or listen to slow songs : Before you go to sleep, you can read a book or listen to slow music which will make you sleepy(or you can record the voice of a person that makes you sleep(everybody has one person like that in life) and listen to it repeatedly before you get down).
2. Make Gradual Schedule Changes: Going from 8 am wake up to 5 am wake up is not easy and practically wrong way to proceed. Your body can’t accommodate such sudden changes and you can end up being ill. So the best way to make a habit is a gradual change. If you want to go from 8 am to 5 am, then start with 7:30 am in first week and reduce half hour per week until you reach 5 am. It will be better for body and less painful for you.
3. Overlooking the first week problems: Most of the people give up their efforts of getting up early in the morning due to health effects they encounter in the very first week. Common problems include feeling tired all day, having headaches and feeling sleepy on work time. What these people need to understand is the first week problems would completely disappear when you reach the end of second week and the benefits that you get in waking up early are far greater in comparison to these small problems that will vanish once it becomes their habit.
4. Buddy System : This is a very practical approach but requires a friend who is already in habit of getting up early. What you can do is to ask your friend to call you at the specified time (say 6 am) and ask some 2 digit multiplication problems. For e.g. 12 multiplied by 15 or 13 multiplied by 17 and you need to do this in your head and tell your friend the correct answer and if you don’t answer correctly, you’ll have to pay some small amount of money(say 10 cents) on each wrong answer. What this technique will do is to awake your mind thrusting a surge of energy into your brain required to do the calculations. And this energy will wake you up for sure.
5. Drink a lot of water(nature’s alarm): Before you go to sleep, drink 2 glasses of water so that you have to pee in 5-6 hours and the pressure mounted can wake you up automatically in 7-8 hours. But don’t overdo this technique, if you drink 3-4 glasses of water, you’ll end up waking in 3-4 hours which will ruin your good night sleep.
6. Multiple Alarms kept at a distance: What you can do is to buy an alarm clock and set up an alarm to the wake up time(Say 6 am), now set up two more alarms in your celphone at the interval of 7 minutes each. For e.g. at 6:07 am and 6:15 am. Now the most important thing: Keep the alarm clock and your phone in different direction at a walking distance from your bed so that you have to walk each time you want to turn an alarm off. At most in the third alarm, you’ll wake up yourself.
7. Sibling method : Now, my favorite one. If you have a Sibling(Brother/Sister) who wakes up early before you, just ask him/her to jump on you (on your specified time) and beat you until you wake up ! This last one will work for sure..
If you find any other crazy or useful technique to get up early in the morning, you can mention in comments or write to me at [email protected]
This is Drunk Writer signing off… Adios !!
March 2, 2015
February 12, 2015
November 1, 2014
August 18, 2014
June 4, 2014
May 27, 2014